The Office of Student Rights & Responsibilities works with students, faculty, staff and community to help resolve disputes through the following services:
- CONSULTS - providing individuals with tips on how to work out issues with others
- REFERS - helping individuals navigate to appropriate campus and community resources
- MEDIATES - serving to help mediate conflicts between individuals including faculty and staff when both parties agree to come to the table
- ALTERNATIVE RESOLUTIONS - options may be available to parties in a student conduct matter that may be able to be resolved through an agreed upon process
- RESTORE - assisting individuals through the process to move forward and build resilience
When the goals of conflict resolution can not be met and/or if an incident warrants it, a case may be initiated with our office (student conduct), the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination (OPHD), Human Resources, and/or the Academic Personnel Office.
The Graduate Academic Counselor is available for graduate students dealing with conflict and will facilitate conflict management and resolution between graduate students and faculty on a case-by-case basis.
The Office of the Ombuds is a safe confidential and informal place where UC Merced community members can go for informal assistance with managing conflict, complaints, and concerns with a colleague, classmate, supervisor or anyone else on campus. The Ombuds will listen; help identify options; make inquiries and make referrals as appropriate; and/or facilitate resolutions in an impartial manner.
If you are in need of some assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. Email us to schedule a time to chat or click the links below for more resources.